HOW TO PICK A MOISTURISER FOR DRY SENSITIVE SKIN
Picking up a good moisturiser for dry skin which is also sensitive can be a tough task, as most of the time people with dry skin blindly reach out for the cream that has too many oils, which is not a bad thing but here we want to keep in mind the sensitivity issue of the skin.
So, if you want to fulfil the requirement of dry skin without making your sensitive skin angry, pick your moisturiser by keeping a check on the following points:
- Stay away from a moisturiser that has a high level of fragrance, doesn’t matter if it is natural or artificial. A subtle faint scent is still fine but the preference should be “100% fragrance-free”.
- Avoid or Limit the Essential Oils in the moisturising Products. Essential Oils have their skin benefit but sensitive skin is prone to redness or rashes or itchy skin situation. Also, many times essential oils are used in a skincare product for a natural scent.
- Pick a cream that doesn’t contain Denatured Alcohol.
- The moisturiser should be artificial colourant-free.
- Prefer creams that contain a good quantity of occlusive like waxes, silicones and petrolatum to prevent Transepidermal Water Loss from the skin. Occlusive does not aid any skin benefit directly but they make sure they seal everything on to your skin, just like a lid of a jar!
- Also, look out for gentle emollients, includes plant butter (Shea butter, cocoa butter), plant oil (sunflower oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, almond oil, etc), squalane (this is my favourite), etc. An emollient fills the gap between cracked skin and thereby making it soft.
Keep a check on ingredients. Always have a glance on the ingredients list and avoid using a product that contains an ingredient to which you have had a skin reaction in the past.
A good moisturiser for dry sensitive skin has a good combination of occlusive and emollients and many times few ingredients act as both. Below are the moisturisers that are best in my opinion and deserves a shot from dry sensitive skin people.
• COSRX Advanced Snail 92 All In One Cream:
Contains 92% of Snail Mucin Filtrate to hydrate, moisturise, nourish and brighten the skin. It also has Allantoin and Dimethicone to moisturise and improve the skin barrier. I highly recommend this cream during the hot humid condition.
• ETUDE House Soon Jung 2x Barrier Intensive Cream:
A must for dry weather condition or when a skin barrier is badly damaged. It contains Centella Asiatica to calm and heal the skin, and also has sunflower seed oil and Shea butter to moisturise skin.
• ETUDE House Soon Jung 5-Panthensoside Cica Balm:
In case, you are someone who wants to avoid the conventional plant oil, butter and want something that’s vegan too, this cica balm is your product. It also contains Centella Asiatica but in a little higher concentration and has my favourite squalane to moisturise skin. This is also moisturising in nature but has more of a skin calming effect.
• By Wishtrend TECA 1% Barrier Cream:
This is a spot treatment, but when my skin is crying from excessive dryness and irritation, I just apply this on my entire face for few days and voila, my skin is back to healthy happy condition. This contains Allantoin, all 3 bioactive derivatives of Centella Asiatica – Asiaticoside, Madecassic acid and Asiatic acid.
• Klairs Midnight Blue Calming Cream:
This is an amazing night cream that has a good combination of occlusives and emollients along with the skin calming Centella Asiatica and Guaiazulene (gives the blue colour to the cream). You may refrain from using this cream if your skin is reactive to “Lavender Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Ylang-ylang and Rose geranium oil”.